The Director of Nursing (DON) oversees resident care delivery systems consistent with the facility’s standards and ensures the residents receive quality care in a cost-effective manner. The Director of Nursing will participate as a member of North Star Manor’s management team in planning, policy formulation, and administrative decision making with attention to the role, functions, and operations of the facility’s nursing services. The position is responsible for resident care, management, resource management, and fiscal management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing, directing, and supervising the following functions: nursing, health information, and resident activities to meet the professional standard of practice.
- Participates in investigations related to vulnerable adult reports.
- Defines and maintains the standards of nursing practices within the goals of the facility.
- Initiates the development of policies and procedures that govern nursing services and other services, including managing contracts to nursing services for residents.
- Participates in facility quality improvement programs including reporting system concerns, and safety issues to recommendation appropriate prevention strategies.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines and regulations relating to health, fire, safety, sanitation and OSHA.
- Coordinates all nursing staff to provide proper resident care by conducting rounds frequently, developing in-service education programs, and oversees the provision of appropriate medications, treatments and general nursing services for each resident
- Participates in surveys conducted by various governmental and non-governmental agencies.
- Collaborates with other departments, resources and services for continued resident care.
- Responsible for looking at referrals for admissions, to accept residents for which North Star Manor can provide appropriate and accurate care for the individual.
- Plans, develops and implements a budget for nursing services.
- Provides on-call support in rotation with other members of the nursing team.
- Responsible for staff performance, recruitment, retention, and development.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must demonstrate regular, predictable attendance and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and skill required. The individual must be able to successfully pass background checks.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in nursing required; Bachelor’s degree in nursing is preferred.
- Previous nursing and leadership experience preferred.
- Previous resident care related experience with a strong background in long-term care is preferred.
- Experience with applicable state Survey Rules & Regulations, Medicare and Medicaid required
- Current registered nursing state license
- CPR certification
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of employee management.
- Knowledge of financial management.
- Knowledge of health regulations.
- Excellent time management
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions including the ability to read, write and understand English
- Strong Interpersonal skills with the ability to connect to residents and coworkers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing and moving.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at times with or without assistance.
North Star Manor offers AMAZING full-time benefits!
Individual employee health insurance premium is covered 100%. Family coverage premium is paid by North Star Manor at approximately 58.25%. Up to $3600 for a Health Savings Account prorated by our 26 bi-weekly pay-periods over the calendar year.
North Star Manor covers 50% of the premiums for you and your family vision and dental insurance coverage.
North Star Manor also provides Paid Time Off (PTO) and six holidays per year.
We belong to the Minnesota sponsored PERA, (Minnesota Public Employee Retirement). You will have 6.5% deducted from your check pre-tax and the facility will match it with 6.5%. After five years of vestment, all monies in the account will be for you. Upon retirement your monies and years of service will be figured into a lifetime annuity check each month.
North Star Manor pays for Life Insurance Coverage of one time your annual salary with an additional one year for Accidental Death. You may purchase extra for you and your family if you wish.