North Star Manor is currently seeking a part-time cook:
16 hours per week: 5:30am – 2pm
The Cook prepares and serves meals according to the menu and monitors the methods of food handling, preparation, meal service and equipment cleaning, while maintaining North Star Manor’s standards of quality, sanitation and safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform defined work routines, using various dietary utensils, supplies and equipment as assigned.
- Coordinate food preparation and meal service.
- Plan and initiate cooking schedule for food preparation to meet scheduled meal times.
- Follow federal and state long-term care regulations; as well as Food and Nutrition department policies and procedures.
- Follow cleaning schedules and perform cleaning duties as assigned.
- Prepare, season, cook and serve assigned meal(s) and snacks; ensure appropriate portioned servings according to portion control standards.
- Taste and smell prepared food to determine quality and palatability.
- Monitor temperature of hot and cold foods through food preparation and service to ensure that established temperature goals are met prior to steam table transfer and maintained throughout the meal service.
- Oversee and direct workers assisting with the preparation and serving of meals.
- Train new employees.
- Assist in receiving and storing food and department supplies.
- Wash cooking equipment such as pots, pans, dishes, utensils, and other pieces.
- Develop and maintain food records and census sheets regarding temperature and use.
- Attend in-service educational programs.
- Follow defined safety codes while performing duties.
- Follow defined infection control procedures.
- Be knowledgeable of federal, state, and North Star Manor’s rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Perform other department duties or special assignments as directed by the supervisor.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must demonstrate regular, predictable attendance and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and skill required. The individual must be able to successfully pass background checks.
- High school or vocational school coursework in kitchen basics, such as food safety, preferred.
- 2-3 year of related experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic understanding of, or the ability to learn, sanitation and regulations for workplace safety.
- Basic understanding of, or ability to learn, food handling techniques, preparation, and cooking procedures.
- Must be able to work quickly and efficiently.
- Must be able to work well as part of a team.
- Must be able to work well under pressure.
- Must be willing to perform routine, repetitive tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain personal cleanliness.
- Read, understand, and follow recipes and diet cards.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadline.
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must show patience and tolerance towards residents, family members, and other staff members.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Must be able to endure long hours of continuous work.
- Physical effort required by the job includes standing, stooping, reaching, pulling, pushing, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Must have visual acuity, as well as color, taste, and smell discrimination.
- Must have an ability to work with chemicals and cleaning agents.
- Must be able to withstand exposure to temperature and humidity changes, such as entering refrigerated storage areas, or working at ovens, dishwashing machines, steamtables.