The Finance Manager is responsible for directing and coordinating all aspects of North Star Manor finances including general accounting, resident accounting and financial and statistical reporting. Also includes oversight of business office personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively manages the day to day accounting and financial operations at North Star Manor including accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Prepares for and coordinates all financial audit activities (including year-end and cost reporting) and serves as the facility’s primary liaison with auditors to ensure the audits are completed smoothly and in a timely manner.
- Follows and/or establishes policies and procedures related to business office and finance.
- Maintains adequate staff of qualified and competent personnel to satisfy departmental responsibilities. Provides for orientation and continuing education, as needed, to maintain staff that is competent in job-related skills.
- Provides general assistance to administrative personnel in all business and accounting functions.
- Reconciles all accounts within the general ledger each month and makes the necessary journal entry adjustments if necessary.
- Manages North Star Manor’s electronic accounting system to ensure complete and accurate records of assets, liabilities, and financial transactions. Evaluates accounting and resident accounting procedures for quality control.
- Ensures timely receipt of payments on resident accounts and resolves collections by examining resident payment plans, payment history, credit line; coordinating contact with collections department.
- Prepares North Star Manor’s operating and capital budgets in coordination with the Administrator based on past, current and anticipated expenditures and revenues.
- Directs compilation of data and preparation of financial and operating reports for planning effective administration of North Star Manor activities by management.
- Prepares detailed analyses of financial statements to reflect variances in income, expenditures, and capital asset values from previous periods. Makes recommendations to administration concerning means of reducing North Star Manor’s operating costs and increasing revenues, based on knowledge of market trends, financial reports, and industry operating procedures.
- Completes monthly and annual finance reports and presents to board of directors as requested.
- Maintains awareness of Federal and State regulations as they pertain to accounting services.
- Performs any other job related duties as requested by management, and/or special projects as assigned.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must demonstrate regular, predictable attendance and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and skill required. The individual must be able to successfully pass background checks.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/ Finance from an accredited college or university.
- Three to five years of increasing responsibility in a finance environment. Healthcare or long-term care preferred, not required.
- MBA or CPA with healthcare experience would be a plus, not required.
- Strong analytical skills necessary as well as working knowledge of computer systems and accounting/ finance software.
- Must be able to demonstrate or substantiate knowledge in accounting/ finance principles and applications. Cost reporting experience preferred.
- Must have a broad and comprehensive understanding of the audit process and programs.
- Analyze and solve problems effectively and efficiently.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must be: highly ethical with a high level of integrity; self-motivated; dependable and reliable; detailed oriented; able to interface easily with staff, other senior management personnel and funding sources.
To accomplish the essential functions of the position, one must be physically able to operate or work with computers, calculators, reference books, computer software applications, phones and other standard office equipment. The physical activities of the position include talking, reaching, grasping, light lifting, bending, squatting, and other repetitive motions.