This position develops activity programming for residents and assures activities are led in a safe and effective manner by staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Assesses residents’ needs and develops plans for programming that meets identified needs. Leads or assists with conducting programming. Evaluates effectiveness of programming. Assures community involvement with center/campus and works with volunteers. Completes all documentation within established programming. Assures community involvement with center/campus and works with volunteers. Completes all documentation within established timelines. Receives and shares information. Observes and reports residents’ conditions to appropriate staff. Uses the EMR accurately. Keeps activity are free of hazards. Keeps potentially harmful substances in locked storage and discards properly. Follows appropriate and adequate safety measures while on outings. Assures residents are supervised at all times while in planned groups/outings, etc.
This position will be held accountable for complying with all related laws, regulations, company policies and procedures pertaining to his or her position and for fulfilling his or her obligations under North Star Manor’s Corporate Compliance Program.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Education Experience/Licensure Certification: Must be eligible for certification as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist or as an Activities Professional by a recognized accrediting body or ability to satisfactorily complete an accredited training program approved by the state in which the center/campus is located; training in communication with visually and hearing impaired individuals as well as aphasic individuals is preferred. Prior work experience in long term care is preferred; other pertinent experience considered.
- Skills/Abilities: Must have a demonstrated knowledge of caring for people with special needs; ability and desire to be creative and ability to adapt programs and supplies to meet individual resident needs.
- Knowledge: Demonstrated reading, writing, and verbal skills required.
- Physical/Mental Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will operate/activate/use/prepare/inspect/place/detect/position objects, tools, or controls. The employee will frequently communicate/express oneself/exchange/observe/assess/detect information relative to this position. The employee is required to maintain a stationary position/move/position self in response to job tasks. Must be able to effectively communicate in English, both orally and in writing.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises assigned employee(s). Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; fostering an environment for employee engagement.
- Accommodations: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Frequency of travel may vary based on business needs.
- Weight Lifting Requirement: 15lbs.